PACK IT AND PROTECT IT
As a service to our customers, Just Box IT offers high quality moving boxes and a wide variety of packing supplies at a reasonable price. We can help you with tips on how to pack different types of items.
SUPPLIES AVAILABLE AT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTERS
Have ready: Boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, peanuts, tape and marking pens.
- Pack items of similar size and weight together.
- Try not to mix items from different rooms.
- Place heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on the top.
- You can use towels and old clothing as filler for added protection or half empty boxes.
- Seal the box with a sturdy packing tape.
- Label the box with a general description of its contents and destination room.
- Pack books flat. Standing them on end could damage the spines. Remember books are very heavy, so don't pack too many in one box.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other motorized items.
- Store heat sensitive items such as albums, photos, wood furniture in a temperature controlled storage room.
- Don't over pack boxes. They may rupture or topple over when stacked.
- Mirrors, large framed art, windows and screens should be stored on edges and not flat.
- Metal tools and bicycles should be cleaned and wiped with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil to retard rust.
- Wrap plates, saucers, and bowls individually before placing them in a dishpack. Use a dishpack divider for increased protection. Fill paper into bottom, top, and empty spaces in the carton.
- Moisture and mildew will damage your valuables so make sure your refrigerator or freezer is clean and dry.
- Use valuable storage space inside appliances for small items.
- Use free standing shelves to help organize your unit.
- Create an aisle down the center of your space for easy access to all of your items.
- Place drop cloths over your items. This helps protect from dust.
- Long handled tools such as rakes, shovels, and hoes should be clean, lightly oiled and tied in a bundle.
- Place more valuable items in the back of your space and have the furniture towards the front.
- If you are storing for a long period, especially during seasonal changes, remember to place items you might need where you can get to them.
- Inventory your valuable items prior to storing and keep a copy of the inventory with you.
- If you have valuable antiques, you may want to photograph the items being stored.
- When placing upholstered items or bedding in your space, use pallets or pieces of wood to avoid contact with concrete or metal.
WE SUGGEST THAT YOU...
- Don't use boxes that once contained food, cosmetics, or liquor. They have an odor and can attract rodents.
- Don't store any food items. Food attracts pests.
- Don't use printed newspapers. The ink may smudge onto your belongings.
- Don't pack your boxes so that they are too heavy to carry.
- Don't assume that your homeowners or renters insurance will cover your belongings while in storage.
- Don't give out your password, gate code, or any information to anyone that is not listed as having "Access."
- Don't foget to clean appliances before you store them.
- Don't store any toxins or flammables such as paint, oil, or gasoline.
- Don't store items such as glass water filled globes during the winter - they may freeze.
- Don't store items such as candles during the hot weather - they could melt.